Marriage Licenses

How to Apply for a Marriage License

The couple must apply in person to the Clerk's Office. You must jointly file intentions to marry and you may do so with the city or town clerk in any community in the state. A marriage license is valid for 60 days from the date the intentions are filed and may be used in any Massachusetts city or town. It is not valid outside of Massachusetts.

You do not have to be a state resident to get married in Massachusetts, but you must obtain a valid marriage license issued by a Massachusetts city or town clerk. An out-of-state marriage license cannot be used. Wherever you file your intentions will be where you must return to get copies of your marriage certificate later.

If a person is in the military, intentions may be filed by either party, providing one is a Massachusetts resident. If a person is incarcerated in a county house of correction or a state correctional facility, intentions may be filed by either party.

Justice of the Peace

The City Clerk's Office has a Justice of the Peace who offers wedding ceremonies. When filling out your marriage intentions (license application) you may inquire about making an appointment.

Please call Jennifer Smith, City Clerk at 978-388-8100 for more information or to schedule a ceremony.