The Trustees of War Memorials oversees the planning and maintenance of the City's war memorials and monuments. The Trustees meet as needed. For specific meeting dates visit the Trustee of War Memorials Calendar of Events. For more information about veterans and veteran services visit the Amesbury Department of Veteran Services.
Section 12-1 Authority Establishment
The City Council votes to establish bylaws for the purposes of defining and governing the operation, organization, and authority of the Amesbury Board of Trustees of War Memorials pursuant to M.G.L. c. 41, § 105.
Section 12-2 Bylaws
Article I: Duties, Responsibilities, and Authority. The City of Amesbury's Board of Trustees of War Memorials, herein known as the "Board," shall have charge and control of the construction of any memorial in Amesbury commemorating the services and sacrifices of soldiers, sailors, marines, and airmen who are veterans of war, or persons who have rendered military service for the commonwealth in time of war, and the Board shall have custody and care of such memorials after their construction.
Article II: Membership and Organization. The Board shall consist of the Mayor and five members appointed by him and approved by the Council, three of whom shall be veterans and two of whom shall not be veterans of any war. An employee of the City of Amesbury may serve on the Board, provided that such service is appropriate and consistent with the duties and responsibilities attributed to the employee by virtue of the office held by said employee, and provided that such service is beneficial to Amesbury and that such service is in compliance with all laws and regulations of the United States, of the commonwealth, and of the City of Amesbury. The term of a Trustee shall not exceed three years.
Article III: Application of Bylaws. These bylaws shall not supersede Massachusetts General Law (M.G.L) chapter 41, section 105, or any existing laws or regulations of the United States or of the commonwealth, nor shall they supersede any existing bylaws, ordinances, or regulations of the City of Amesbury. The provisions of these bylaws are severable, and if any clause, sentence, paragraph, or article is deemed invalid by the City Council or another proper authority, such judgment shall not affect, impair, or invalidate the remainder thereof. These bylaws shall be effective immediately upon City Council approval, and shall only be amended with the approval of the Board and of the City Council by a simple majority of each respective body.
Amesbury War Memorials
The Trustees of War Memorials and volunteers continue to research and document the memorials around the city that are dedicated to the men and women of Amesbury who served, and to those who made the ultimate sacrifice.
Haverhill Road / Rt. 110 heading west on 110. Take first left into cemetery, right-hand side. Almost at end of the road.
Burial lot with plain granite border with post decorated by eight granite balls. A plain granite shaft about seven feet high, on a granite base, surmounted with a granite ball. Stands in the middle of the lot. Front of shaft has inscription of names of men buried there. Inscription also appears on base. The granite balls are no longer there, but four period cannons have been added (date not known.) This cost of memorial was about $500.00
Rev. Samuel J. Spading D.D. of Newburyport
E. P. Wallace Post G. A. R. 122 and Town of Amesbury
By vote of the Town of Amesbury, 1874 AD
May 30, 1874
*Sealed within this monument are records of every religious society, public and private associations and officers, town officials and the names of all soldiers from amesbury and salisbury that served during the civil war.
Three granite blocks about seven feet tall. Center block/center panel has bronze relief of E.P. Wallace on his tricycle. Each side panel has bronze plaques engraved with names of the members of E.P. Wallace Post 122 G.A.R. There are also granite stones in front of each panel. Also, a bronze plaque on the backside of center panel. Local granite contractor Frank Williams erected the monument. Bronze plaques were produced by Albert Russell Foundry of Newburyport.
Main St. Amesbury Middle School, former site of Amesbury High School.
Main St. Southwest corner of property.
A ten-foot, six-inch bronze statue of WWI doughboy. Backed by three huge light gray granite slabs from the Gloucester Quarries, the back is 24 foot 2 inches long and 11 foot high. Each slab has a bronze plaque relief representing the Revolutionary War, War of 1812 and the Civil War. Also, has dates of all wars in which we have been involved. Leonard Craske was the sculpture. The Rockport Granite Company erected the memorial. It was originally located in center of property in front of Amesbury High School about 45 feet back from Main St. It was moved in 1985-86 to the southwest corner of the property. It is now in front of the current middle school and closer to Main St.
Gov. Frank G. Allen, Cong. Piatt Andrew and Att. John H. O’Neil.
Town of Amesbury - town bonded $20,000 to be used with $5,600 returned to town from money collected to pay veterans bonuses.
Huge granite boulder with bronze plaque engraved with 82 names of sons and daughters from Rocky Hill Rd. neighborhood. Replaces temporary one dedicated in 1944. Two names marked with stars, Everett Amidon and Robert Page paid the ultimate sacrifice.
Intersection of Highland St., Sparkhawk St., and Hillside Ave.
Bronze marker/plaque engraved with 95 name of Lt. Goldsmith who was killed in action on Armistice Day, 1943. There is also a large granite boulder with a bronze plaque engraved with 95 names of sons and daughters of the surrounding neighborhood, dedicated earlier.
Rabbi Shalon Yellin and Att. John H. O’Neil
For town by Maurice R. Pare: Chairman of the Board of Selectman
Block of granite 5 feet wide, 3' 2" feet tall on base 6 foot inches long, rising 6 inches above surface of the ground. Engraved with three names: Paul T. Cynewski, Theodore J.F. Nowak, and Lawrence Zagranis. Dedicated to American soldiers, sailors, and marines of Polish ancestry.
Att. John h. O'Neil
For the town by Anthony Batal, Board of Park Commissioners.
Single slab of granite, octagonal in shape, and rises eight feet. Rests on large octagonal granite base. A 20-foot steel flagpole rises from its apex. An American eagle is engraved in its base with inscription in both English and French reads;
“To the French-Americans who knew no bonds in defending and preserving forever the freedom of humanity, we, their fellow citizens dedicate this everlasting memorial.”
Maurice R. Pare: Chairman of the Board of Selectmen for the Town.